It gives me a feeling of nervousness before I write any further. I am nervous just because I don’t want to miss a single thing about this person. But then I settle my nerves and explain to myself - “He is God and writing scriptures is not that easy”.
Few scenes of 2nd April 2011 had allowed me to swagger and scream that I am an Indian. It was those after hours of world cup final, when the cricket crazy nation was mimicking its 15th Aug 1947 night. The most pampered cricket team of the world had already lifted the cup; the nation was celebrating another Diwali. I have never ever seen that much united India . On the streets, those strangers were hugging and congratulating each other, who on an ordinary day can rage on as simple as car parking. With my appointments for the next day not permitting me to be the part of those celebrations beyond 2 AM, I eventually adieu’d my ‘known strangers’.
With my emotions not allowing me to have a sound sleep, I eventually clicked on those news channels which had pissed me off in past because of their iterative telecasts of hyped news stories. Now those repeated flashes of the winning images had made me smile every time. But I was more willing to see just one person from among 20 odd people in those pictures. I had already committed a crime by now, by saying him a “person”. I was desperate to see GOD “Sachin Tendulkar” in every picture. I can bend down on my knees for hours and bow down to his tears, which were apparent from the videos. With about 22 years of his service to the nation, he finally expressed his gratification through his tears. That squeaky voice from Sachin-“It cannot get better than this” is still ringing loud and fresh in my ear. In spite of receiving almost every award and honor, his cupboard was empty- it was deprived of the world cup medallion. This medallion was due to him from last 5 times. Every Indian cricket player had expressed something, may be in different pitches-but it all meant the same “This was for Sachin”.
Sachin had carried for long, the hope of billion people on his shoulders. It was now the team during the victory lap who was carrying this God on their shoulders.
With my trait being a bit mawkish about Tendulkar, I have never refrained myself from boasting about this God. You can speak in any perspective be it rational or emotional, you would at some point admit that he is really a God. For how come a simple human is not encumbered by “exponentially raising” expectations of so many people?
I think almost a billion people would never pray for a person when he is playing, but for Tendulkar people can go to any extent. I remember a day when one of my uncle was screaming on his son just because the “event of- his son entering the room” and “Sachin getting out” coincided. I cannot remember for how many times I have tortured my vocal chords to death, just for Sachin- that too in front of TV. Keeping aside the emotions, lets replay few of Sachin’s efforts, which would make us feel how blessed we are, that this person plays for our nation. The very fresh among those was a fielding effort from Sachin on the WC final day. It seems a bit silly to acknowledge a field effort on the boundary lines, when the world talks about batting and bowling. I would love to see for umpteen times, that chase of a 37 year old body which saved few runs for us. Who can forget that commitment and fire which Sachin possessed on his remarkable knocks against SA and Pakistan ? To add few more things to this appreciation array I would cite some videos on internet. Who can forget the video of Harsha appreciating Tendulkar @ IIM. Everyone would love to stream the famous Sidhu video where he tells about Sachin’s famous marathi sledging to Waqar Younis. Not to forget Shewag who in an award function narrates a sledging incident between him and Sohaib Akhtar where he says-“Ask your dad (referring to Sachin, standing at non striker) to hook the ball for you”. Even after so much of cricketing success under his belt, his modesty, consistent improvement and passion for his work, makes him a great player, a great person and a great Indian. I sometime wonder how a person can handle unreasonable expectations of so many people. I call it unreasonable because EVERY TIME he is out there to bat, people want just one thing- a century, just think again… EVERY TIME ? This makes me think that he is simply a GOD!
It would be unfair, not appreciating other players for this world cup win. But since me being imbibed in “TENDULKARISM”, I would clone few lines from various sources and I really agree with each and every word of that- “It was a team effort and everyone contributed well to that. Special thanks to Dhoni, Gambhir, Yuvraj, Zaheer, Harbhajan and every one else”. It is so momentous that our team won this world cup and made so many people happy. I would again like to congratulate every Indian with a cheer which has become almost the nation’s favorite song. Here I go –“Sachin…. Sachin. Sachin…. Sachin Sachin….. Sachin.”
Superbly written Rahul :-) your being crazy for the God has sent me to a trip down the memory lane when I was a teenager and used to watch each and every innings of him, my room used to be full of news paper cuttings of his praises, wall filled with his posters and cupboard covered by his stickers.. and now, after more than a decade I again feel like doing similar things.
ReplyDeleteHe is 'once-in-a-gazillion-years' man.
-
TJ
Wow Rahul, I confer on you the title of “Biggest Sachin Fan” I have met. I know in my heart that I am a big Sachin fan as well, but I am no comparison to you. I do get upset by Sachin. I am selfish to hate him when he gets out as I don’t get to see picture perfect shots. Tendulker is an inspiration to me, not for his accomplishment, not for what he has done to the nation, not for his talent but for the GREAT man he is. The BEST person I have known. My biggest scary nightmare would be to find out that Sachin was not an Indian. What if he was a Pakistani and played for Pakistan, or an Australian. Probably I would have missed knowing the greatest man ever. I feel blessed to have seen and followed Sachin so closely for last 22 years.
ReplyDeleteYes TJ such is the magic of this person.
ReplyDeleteThanks Devanshu for the title.You are absolutely right we all are blessed to see Sachin from such a long time.
ReplyDeleteRahul .. well scripted and u have reminded me of my 13 years old catalogue of sachin Tendulkar ! He can bring a smile on my face by his mere presence on TV !
ReplyDeleteI can smile n cry for God,both at the same time!
Thanks Gunjan.You are right such is the magic of this GOD.
ReplyDeleteAwesome attempt Rahul, I was never a die hard fan of Sachin but after watching last 3 WC matches in office and watching you shouting and screaming for Sachin; ur rxn when he got out in final and u were blaming urself for that.. :D, Seems like I've missed something big but glad I've not missed everything. So thanks to you.
ReplyDeleteone more request please write one of ur blog in Hindi, would love to read a blog by a person who got 88 marks in Hindi.. :)
Best of luck and keep blogging..:)
Thanks for the nice comments Aayushi,I hope big is still to come form Sachin.
ReplyDeleteBlogging in Hindi?I think the new generation is not accustomed to Hindi so i would not attempt that because it would go unread.
Very well written Rahul. I have always believed that you are one of his greatest followers I have seen, infact the only one like you- If Sachin is Krishan, then you are Arjun-Nar aur Narayan ki jodi ho tum donno. How I wish that Sachin knew about your out of the world respect for him :). If anyone has any doubt about it, they should have seen you yelling Sachin's name in IPL Delhi vs Mumbai or the recent World Cup.
ReplyDeleteSomeone said "If cricket is religion, Sachin is God!", but for me he is greatness personified! If anyone wants to see practically how a person who has loads of money, name, fame, almost everything he ever dreamt of, can stay grounded, down to earth like any other normal self, then the best example is Sachin! He is of my age and in a way I followed him very closely throughout his cricketing career and I never saw anything wrong coming from his side. He is a perfect sportsman and Indian cricket is lucky to have him.
Wow thanks Kamal.It is so great to see that now people are admitting that Sachin is the best.
ReplyDeleteRahul, There is nothing like people are admitting, they admitted it years ago and they are just following it and will follow it for centuries.......
ReplyDeletesachin-I think you have met only limited set of positive people.I have met so many people who at times are condemning this God in subject.
ReplyDeleteI am one of them who don't believe good human as a God :) He is best player this time and one of the best of cricket world. Also down to earth and good human being. Still he plays for himself, for his passion and money is always there. No passion without bread and butter :D
ReplyDeleteIts great to have passion like this and fans like you who make them god.